Tuesday, March 4, 2008

"A Blog From Tubby... No Thanks"

I have to laugh. My friend Scott Pearson posted a link to this blog over at Hockey's Future in the Kings forum, where I was recently asked to discontinue being a member. My fan base as TubbyTerrion was polarized to say the least. Granted, to say that I had a "fan base," as a member of a hockey bulletin board may be a bit ego-inflating and self-aggrandizing to begin with, but yes, there were people there who did enjoy what I had to say, and when I had to say it.

I created a couple of alter egos along the way (MisoSoupy and HawkeyeKnight) and eventually those two (too) were removed from the boards, and so I decided to use this space as a chance to express myself. Hence "I took my puck and went home."

I don't mind not having interaction with adolescents and misguided folks who accidentally found the internet as a vehicle for their own stupidity, but I do miss the camaraderie with a select few who I know actually understand the game of hockey, and the nuances of the teams that the Kings have iced for the past forty seasons.

The title of this entry was a quote from one of the people who responded to Scott's posting of the link. One of the subsequent reactions was from my friend Pat, who said "Careful - you might accidentally learn something" and I had to smile at that one too. I don't actually choose to be a "teacher," but I do enjoy letting people see what is perhaps a contrary opinion to a more popular one.

I have massive amounts of respect for a number of people who have endured within and around the Kings organ-eye-zation over the past few decades, and over the course of time I hope to have some interviews with them, as they too share their memories and experiences being involved with this flatulent juggernaut. I promise not to bait them into saying "no thanks" to my request.

14 comments:

Scott said...

I'd like you to write about what Lombardi should be doing with this team. :)

PSP said...

flatulent juggernaut - I like that!

PSP said...

...and I think the word verification was trying to tell me something. It was

wuttf

:)

Matthew Barry said...

To begin, the "word verification" might as well be Chinese or hieroglyphics.

I thank Marc for his grandiloquent prose, his sarcastic, choleric and acicular views and for agreeing that
selecting Brian Boyle over Corey Perry was just another in a long series of Al Murray blunders.

I'm glad you started this blog... it's a refreshing change from "Is Kent Huskins better than Modry?".

Anonymous said...

Instant bookmark.

Please keep this updated, your views and knowledge are second to none.

Anonymous said...

You got banned under three different psuedonyms and you blame it on the fact that your superior knowledge is not compatible with the stupidity of the rest of the Kings fans on the Internet. What is wrong with this picture?

Anonymous said...

Great that you've decided to do this.

Yeah, you've written many things that pissed me off, and I'm sure will write plenty more of them, but it's worth it, because I really do respect your knowledge a lot.

I'd recommend to other Kings fans to take this approach - try not to get all hot and bothered about Marc's blunt way of expressing himself. As PSP posted on HF, you may just benefit by learning something.

Anonymous said...

I will be checking in from time to time to study at the feet of the master.

~T. Stokes

kingspin said...

Anonymous said...
You got banned under three different psuedonyms and you blame it on the fact that your superior knowledge is not compatible with the stupidity of the rest of the Kings fans on the Internet. What is wrong with this picture?


Dear "Anonymous"
While I respect your right to bring this to the attention of anyone reading these comments, I assure you that my "knowledge" was not the issue at HFBoards. My inability to cope with two moderators (jfont and GoKimJohnsson514) lack thereof was the issue at hand, and I defy you to look at any/all of GKJ514's 25,000 posts and find ONE shred of hockey "knowledge" in ANY of them. It's actually remarkable. He knows NOTHING, and offers NOTHING. That being said, he's a moderator, and I wasn't so he gets to have the right to take action against me as he sees fit. The other two aliases were banned under the guilt by association IP address theory. They reserved the right to track my posts and remove my other aliases. So be it. I stand by my contributions to HF, and offer a different kind of journalism here. This is a blog, not a message board. I am not moderating comments, or censoring them, but I am going to spend less time defending myself and more time enjoying what I have to write about. Your participation, or lack thereof after this point is your decision.

MN

Anonymous said...

glad you've decided to do this blog!

perhaps some time you can tell us about your travels through the AHL scene. ;)

Anonymous said...

As soon as Chummy showed up on LGK, I suspected it was you. Is it true? Does Tubby = Chummy?

Anonymous said...

I always liked you Tubby. I admit I have no where near the hockey knowledge you have and though I dont agree with you all the time, I could always respect what you had to say!

Except on yer Brian Boyle comments!!! :)

I look forward to reading your blog!

kingspin said...

I literally haven't even LOOKED at LGK since 2003, and have no idea who "Chummy" is.

And for the record, I may have been banned, but I assure you it was well after I left on my own accord :)

Anonymous said...

I'm not sure exactly why but this blog is loading extremely slow for me. Is anyone else having this issue or is it a issue on my end? I'll check
back later on and see if the problem still exists.


Review my blog post - diets that work